Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A day of extra GK

So, not only do we have to sit in class and listen to this man lecture on and on about subjects people might care about if they were remotely interestingly presented, but they aren't, we get to read an article written by him tonight! Isn't that exciting? I think the main problem I have paying attention in this class is because not once has the word advertising been mentioned, and I don't care about the news. I mean, I do, I just don't care about how it's written or who is writing it. Is that such a bad thing? I'm Ad for a reason, we don't have to write the news.

I did take a big step today on keeping myself up to date on worldly happenings though... I subscribed to a free CNN podcast and a free Ad Age podcast. I'm assuming there will be a new "episode" each day that will update me with headlines and major events happening in the real world and in the advertising world. Minimal effort (besides updating my ipod each morning) with maximum effectiveness. Isn't that what we're taught in certain classes?

Anyway.. after class we walked around the campus area and went back for our "Internship Orientation". We were reminded that we have to dress properly, keep the gum at home, prepare questions, and research the company. Things I've never been told before.. it was a really helpful hour. We were also told that we should remember it is an internship, and to look at the bigger picture -- the whole London experience. I think it was their way of saying, "Half of you will hate your internship, you'll get the shaft work and won't have anything to show for it, but who cares, you're in London!" Well, little do they know, that won't fly with our group. I am really concerned they think we're all here to just have fun in London, maybe have a reputable company name on our resume, but just enjoy our time and spend our money. I am definitely here to have fun and immerse myself in a new culture and learn from it, but I also want to have solid work to show from my internship. I'm pretty scared I won't get as much experience as I was hoping to get, but I guess that'll just make me look forward to MOJO in the fall. We find out our internship placements on Thursday... It'll be an (cross my fingers) exciting day.

Tomorrow we're taking an all day excursion.. going to Stratford to see Shake's birthplace and a play in the evening. That's what they call Shakespeare here, like he's an old friend. 

Other than that, Kaylin and I went to the grocery store today, we stocked up on food and I was surprised that my bill was only 25 pounds! I got actual food too. I tried to find everything to make spaghetti sauce, but for some reason they didn't have just plain tomato sauce. They did have a mixture though - tomato paste, sauce, onion and garlic. So that was easier. I got ground beef and mixed it with the already prepared sauce and froze most of it for later. I'm going to start eating better, I can't live on angel hair with parm and ham and cheese sandwiches alone, I need some variety.

I'm going to finish my paper now, I have to make sure it's a good summary since GK wrote it himself. I did improve my grades on all 3 papers now, so that's exciting! I actually got a "good one" at the end of my last paper he handed back. I was so proud.

Oh yes.. PICTURES ARE UPDATED (mom)
I'm sorry it takes me a while - our internet decides to be incredibly slow at times, as in a dead standstill, so that makes it a little difficult to upload pictures. 

Goodnight!

2 comments:

Mom said...

GOOD JOB on the cnn podcast move! I'm impressed. I love all the pics, esp the ones with you and your friends in them. Are you going to Paris this weekend too?

Jen said...

nope... they planned that this weekend. only one of my roommates is going, she's going with girls downstairs she knows well. why would I do paris this weekend when we're doing it when you come out??